Nutrition is power. Particularly in the summer time, when so many great, raw ingredients are abundantly available, a healthy diet is one of the leading ways to keep yourself feeling healthy and full of energy. At American Canyon Chiropractor, we urge you to take advantage of the season by visiting farmer's markets and creating a nutrition plan to support your overall well-being.
- Healthy picnicking: Rather than chips and soda, opt for a fruit salad and sparkling water.
- Seafood. lean protein, less fat, less saturated fat and more essential oils: it's a no-brainer.
- Iced green tea instead of iced coffee: There is a noticeable difference in calories and green tea contains anti-oxidants and caffeine (albeit in lower levels). An iced green tea with a dash of honey is a refreshing drink that will help you lose weight and feel less stress.
- Raw fruits and veggies: juice generally contains more sugar and fewer vitamins than the fruit it is derived from.
- Hydrate: most people will sweat more in the summer, making it important to regulate water and sodium levels in the body.
- Smaller portions: studies suggest that humans will eat 92% of what is on the plate, making the size of the portion you serve one of the most critical sub-conscious ways to control how much you consume.
Losing weight helps to ease the burden on the spine, particularly in the lumbar region. However, weight loss is not our only goal here: we want you to eat well to boost your mental acuity, energize you for summer fun and elongate the health of your spine. For help on turning this summer into your summer of health, give our office in American Canyon a call.
Dr. Stephen Rasmussen, D.C.