One of the quickest ways to improve the condition of your back pain is to work on strengthening the lower back, making it more resistant to injury and more supportive of the weight of your body as you age. The wonderful part is that these strengthening movements can be performed in under 15 minutes a day, with little to no expense.
Movement: Tiger Push-up. No materials required.
- Start on all fours with knees and hands on the ground.
- Sit back on heels and extend arms forward.
- Raise your head and slide your torso along the ground, fully extending your body
- Arch your back and straighten your arms
- Hold 5 seconds, then reverse motion
Movement: Crunch and Reach. No materials required
- Lie on your back
- Legs in the air, knees bent.
- Lift head, and fully extend arms forward (behind your head)
- Roll to the right all the way onto your stomach
- At this point, you should have assumed the Superman position
- Squeeze shoulder blades together and contract stomach and butt muscles for 5 seconds.
- Roll in a controlled motion the opposite direction.
- Try to achieve this stretch without touching the floor with hands or feet.
Do not undertake these movements if your pain is too severe; instead, call our office and schedule an appointment so we can get your back healed to a point where strengthening exercises can be performed. Exercises that target all the major core muscles are an important part of strengthening your back against the stresses of daily life.
Dr. Stephen Rasmussen, D.C.